One thing in your arsenal of pet gear you need to have is a dog ramp.
As your dog gets older, they may find it difficult to get up to their favorite places, like snuggling you on the couch!
Ramps help your dog get up to places where they might need a little extra help as they age, like your couch, bed, and vehicle.
Today, we’re discussing the best dog ramps for older dogs to help you find the perfect ramp for your pooch.
Best dog ramps for older dogs
This article contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product listed in this article, we will make a small commission at no extra cost to you!
Overall best dog ramps for older dogs
We have two picks for the best overall dog ramps for older dogs.
1. Chasing Tails
The Chasing Tails pet ramp is one of the best dog ramps for older dogs, and it’s the only dog ramp we found with side rails (which is a major bonus). This sleek wooden ramp has six different adjustable positions making it easy to fit to your couch or bed, regardless of the height.
With a rubber walking surface, it’s very easy to clean. Simply wipe down the surface with warm soapy water.
As a bonus, Travelling With a Dog readers get an additional 5% off with the code: with_a_dog_5
The Chasing Tails dog ramp is one of our favorite pet ramps for four reasons:
- Adjustable height: There are 6 different positions you can adjust to, giving this pet ramp a universal fit.
- No-slip rubber walking surface: The non-slip rubber walking surface helps dog get up the ramp safely. The rubber is gentle on their paws and is easy to clean.
- Side rails: Side rails are great for two reasons. First, they can protect dogs who might lose their balance walking up and down the ramp. Secondly, they prevent dogs from jumping from the top of the ramp straight to the floor, which in older dogs, can hurt their joints.
- Compact and light: It’s compact and light, which makes storing it incredibly easy.
- Not suitable for giant dog breeds: This ramp is not for dogs over 70 pounds
2. SASRL Adjustable Pet Ramp
- Adjustable Height: The pet ramp can be adjusted to 4 heights -9.3, 15.3, 19.6 and 24 inches, it helps your pets easily reach the sofa, bed, or car. The ramp is self-supporting and does not need to be placed on the car or furniture.
- Safe And Sturdy: Sturdy solid wood construction offers very strong support. Each of the ramps passed the safety tested independently and able to support pets up to 200 pounds.
- Non-Slipping & Comfortable: The high traction fabric carpet surface features grooves to prevent your furry friend from slipping when walking on the ramp.
Another great dog ramp is the SASRL Adjustable Pet Ramp. This pet ramp has a weight capacity of 100 pounds, making it a good choice for those with large and giant dog breeds. The ridged carpet surface lets dogs get a good grip as they walk up and down this dog ramp.
This folding dog ramp folds flat for easy storage!
- Ridged ramp: The ridges on the ramp will help your senior dog get a better grip.
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes: Heavy dogs weighing up to 100 pounds can use this ramp.
- Adjustable height: This ramp has four adjustable heights you can use to fit different pieces of furniture and even vehicles.
- No rails: There are no rails to prevent your dog from jumping or losing their balance.
- Hard to clean: The carpet might be hard to keep clean over time, but as it’s dark, any stains won’t be super noticeable.
Best stylish dog ramp for older dogs
Stylish dog ramps are good for those who want
3. Petsafe Cozyup Bed Ramp
- CONTINUE CUDDLE TIME: Use the ramp to help your best friend get up on the sofa all by themselves to improve quality time together
- SAFETY TESTED & DURABLE: This strong ramp is independently tested and rated to support pets up to 120 pounds
- DECORATIVE: Cherry, wood finish adds a decorative element to any home
The Petsafe Cozyup Bed Ramp can be used for couches and beds. It comes in two different colors (cherry or white) so you can match your ramp to the rest of your décor!
Giant dog breeds can use this ramp as it supports dogs up to 120 pounds. While this ramp isn’t foldable, it’s quite beautiful and you might not want to put it away!
- Ribbed walking surface: Helps your dog grip the ramp so they don’t slip on their way up or down.
- Great for large dogs too: Good for dogs up to 120 pounds.
- Carpet surface: The carpet ramp might be hard to keep clean as you can’t wipe it down like you could with a rubber surface. The cherry color in particular has a cream-colored carpet where stains will be more visible as opposed to a darker carpet.
- Not adjustable: There is only one height for this dog ramp.
- Not foldable: Because you can’t fold this ramp, it’s tough to store.
4. DoggoRamps Couch Ramp for Dogs
- A SAFER, more convenient way on and off the couch for dogs of all sizes (holds up to 150lbs).
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT to all couch heights. Ramp folds down flat for easy storage.
- PAWGRIP ANTI-SLIP: our unique surface material gives incredible traction (much better than carpet!)
DoggoRamps is another sleek dog ramp that comes in four different colors: walnut, natural wood, grey, and jet black.
This ramp is more expensive than some of the others on our list, but it’s made within North America using solid hardwood; the higher price is worth the high quality!
- Variety of colors: Comes in a variety of colors making it easy to find a ramp that matches the rest of your house
- Adjustable height: You can adjust this dog ramp to four different heights.
- Great for large dogs: Holds up to 150 pounds.
- Anti-slip surface: DoggoRamps ramp surface is made using PAWGRIP anti-slip; a better alternative to carpet.
- Folds down: These dog ramps fold down for easy storage.
- Price: DoggoRamps dog ramp is more expensive than others on our list, however, it is hand crafted in North America.
Best small dog ramp for older dogs
Many of the dog ramps we mentioned are on the larger side. That doesn’t mean you can’t find a smaller dog ramp, however.
5. Pet Gear Stramp Stair and Ramp Combination
- supertraX mat is soft, protecting pets' paws and removes for easy cleaning
- Rubber grippers on bottom keep step secure and in place
- Easily snaps together; no tools required ; For pets up to 150 lbs
This small dog ramp is ideal for those who want something simple.
The Pet Gear Stramp is both dog stairs and a ramp combined and can hold up to 150 pounds. It’s much smaller than the other ramps we’ve listed and comes at a cheaper price point as well.
However, it’s worth noting that it’s not adjustable and doesn’t fold up for storage.
It comes in two different colors: tan and chocolate. You can also get it in an extra-wide landing area with a less steep slope. This acts more of a “standing ramp” to help your dog jump off surfaces (but isn’t as much as a ramp).
- Cheaper price point: This dog ramp/steps combo is one of the cheaper options on the list.
- Rubber grips on the bottom: The rubber grips on the bottom of this ramp help stabilize it.
- Lightweight: This dog ramp is lightweight and easy to move around.
- Not adjustable: You can’t adjust this to the height of your furniture or vehicle.
- Not foldable: Storing this dog ramp isn’t as easy as the others that are foldable.
Best car dog ramps for older dogs
If you’re on the road lots and want to find the best dog ramp for your car, we recommend these two!
6. PetSafe Happy Ride Telescoping Pet Ramp
- CONTINUE ADVENTURES TOGETHER: Use the telescoping ramp to help your best friend get in and out of your tallest truck, car, minivan or SUV all by themselves
- EXTRA LONG ADJUSTABLE SIZING: Longer length and extra wide telescoping ramp allows you to help your pet get in and out of vehicles with steeper inclines; ramp measures 47-87 in L X 20 in W X 4 in H
- SAFETY TESTED & DURABLE: This strong ramp is independently tested and rated to support pets up to 300 lb
The PetSafe Happy Ride dog ramp is durable and supports giant dog breeds up to 300 pounds. It only weighs 18 pounds making it incredibly lightweight and easy to haul around. This dog ramp is adjustable in length depending on how high your vehicle is. It also compacts so you can store it easily in your vehicle without it taking up too much room.
- Adjustable: You can adjust the length of this ramp for a less steep incline.
- Side rails: This dog ramp has small guard rails to keep your dog comfortable while walking on it.
- Lightweight: Although sturdy, this dog ramp is an incredibly lightweight product.
- Surface: A rubber surface would be better for grip, especially for older dogs.
7. Pet Gear Travel Lite Bi-Fold Ramp
- SupertraX tread is soft, protecting pets paws and also provides sure-footing and is removable for easy cleaning.
- Easy fold for compact storage. Built in handle for portability
- Rubber grippers on bottom help keep ramp steady
The Pet Gear Travel Lite dog ramp is another foldable dog ramp specifically made for your car. It’s light and has a handle so you can easily carry it.
It uses SupertraX for the walking surface, which is a pressure-activated grip to help your dog. SupertraX is also easier to clean, and if you’re using your ramp outdoors, you’ll want something that cleans easily!
- SupertraX surface: Easy to clean and easy for your pet to grip.
- Lightweight with a handle: This dog ramp is easy to carry.
- Foldable: Folds down so you can easily store it in your vehicle.
- Unattractive design: This ramp is best for your car rather than using in your home as it’s not aesthetically pleasing compared to the other ramps on this list.
- Doesn’t universally fit all vehicles: Make sure you measure the space you have when you open your vehicle door to ensure you have enough room for this ramp.
Which ramp should you not get?
- SAFE NONSLIP SURFACE – The foam padded surface of the dog ramp provides your furry pal with optimal traction and secure footing when walking up or down the ramp to prevent slipping or falling
- PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT – The pet ramp can conveniently fold up between uses, making it perfect for travel and easy to store in a trunk, closet, or under furniture. It is also light enough to carry, but durable enough to support pets up to 80 pounds
- MULTIUSE – The ramp can be used to assist pets up onto high beds, couches, or other furniture and can also be used to help them into or out of vehicles. It is ideal for puppies, small dogs, senior dogs or cats, and injured or arthritic pets
Although we love the sleek look of this foldable wooden ramp, the suede makes it hard to grip. For younger, agile dogs, this doesn’t pose a big problem, however, older dogs benefit from the additional grip that rubberized walking surfaces provide.
This ramp is good, but we don’t recommend it if your older dog needs some grip.
Benefits of using a dog ramp
Constant jumping can be hard on your dog’s joints and can lead to diseases like hip dysplasia and arthritis. Using a dog ramp can help prevent these diseases and keep your dog feeling good if they already suffer from any such diseases.
Not only that, dog ramps are easier on you—rather than have to lift your dog into the car they’ll have a way to easily get in with your assistance.
What should you look for in a dog ramp?
There are so many ramps for dogs out there, so which one should you choose? First, you need to determine where you’d like your ramp to go. Is it for your bed or couch? If so, you’d likely want something that looks nice and is functional, like the Chasing Tails dog ramp!
However, if you want something for your car, you might not care about looks as much (afterall, it will spend most of its time in your trunk). Therefore, you might prefer the PetSafe Happy Ride ramp.
Here are some other things to keep in mind.
If you don’t want your dog ramp to always be out, you’ll want to find one that is compact, foldable, and easy to store.
High-traction walking surface
A high-traction walking surface is important, especially for senior dogs. It will make them feel more comfortable as they learn to use their new ramp.
Easy to clean
If you plan to keep your ramp indoors, you’ll likely want one you can easily clean.
Make sure you get the right ramp length for the size of your dog and the height of your furniture.
This article may include affiliate links. www.travellingwithadog.com is a participant of Amazon.com Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchase. www.travellingwithadog.com participates in other affiliate programs, and recieves commissions when purchases are made through the links. The cost is not inflated to account for the commission earned.